Jo Whitton is in Perth doing her 2 hour Quirky Cooking seminars for TM5 and TM31. I was lucky enough to earn a ticket to the consultant cooking class last night and loved it! If you have tickets to one of the seminars you will love it!
- Coconut green chai smoothie
- Nut butter
- Beetroot ciabatta
- Thick coconut cream
- Chocolate and coconut cake with marbled ganache
I have made plenty of recipes from her cookbook and her blog but I actually hadn’t made any of the recipes she demonstrated last night. And after seeing how easy they were (and having a taste) I definitely feel inspired to give them a go now 🙂
Here’s a few of the tips I learned last night:
- Add some ice cubes when making smoothies and blend everything for 2 minutes on speed 10 for a very smooth drink
- Add oil and water when making butter for a nice spreadable butter better than margarine
- If you don’t have time to activate nuts then do a quick soak (20-30min with boiling water) or roast them. Soaking/activating/roasting will reduce any gut irritability
- Keep a pizza stone in your oven to help keep the heat in for all your baking
- Save the pulp when you make coconut milk/cream and use it to make coconut flour
The best tip of the night was to meal plan so you can see what basics you need to make in advance e.g. gluten free flour, dairy free sour cream, coconut cream. If you’re not into meal planning then try to have a day every now and then when you do a big cook up of basics and freeze them. This way you know it’s already done and you can just grab it when you need it 🙂
And the second best tip was to use the substitutions go-to guide on pages 14-15. This guide is great to use when you want to use what you have in your cupboard or if you have an allergy to a particular ingredient. I had forgotten about these pages so it was great to be reminded of this easy reference in the cookbook.
Don’t have the Quirky Cookbook? Contact your consultant or buy your copy online here. Some (not all) of the recipes can be found on the Quirky Cooking blog and if you subscribe to her newsletter you will get a weekly newsletter which includes a recipe, some Q and A’s and a link to her podcast.
Happy cooking xx